Recipe by SabrinaFree
This is what I make when I really want to impress guests, or as a special treat for my husband. This is a very filling, meaty lasagna. Goes great with a fresh salad and garlic bread.
- 1 box oven-ready lasagna noodle
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- i 14 oz. can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 button mushrooms, minced
- 1 carrot, finely minced
- 15 1⁄2 ounces cottage cheese, small curd
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese, part skim
- 2 bags shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil. When warmed, add garlic and onion, stirring until onion is slightly translucent. Add sausage and ground beef, brown. While browning, chop meat down to as small as you can get it. Drain oil. Add seasonings. (You can really put them to taste, and add whatever favorite Italian seasonings you like) Add tomatoes, tomato paste and vegetables. Simmer, stirring occasionally. If sauce is too thick, add a small can of tomato sauce, or water. If too thin, add a bit more tomato paste.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and 1 bag of mozzarella. Add parmesan to taste. Add eggs and parsley and mix well.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan (glass works best). Add to the bottom of the pan just a couple spoonfuls of the meat mixture, spread evenly. You just want enough sauce to fully wet the bottom of the pan. Layer over that 3 lasagna noodles. Layer over that about 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Add lasagna noodles. Layer over those about 1/3 of the meat mixture. Continue layering, ending with meat mixture on top. Sprinkle remaining bag of mozzarella cheese over meat mixture. Use as much, or as little cheese as you like. Sprinkle with more parmesan and parsley flakes. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove foil and place back in oven just until cheese is golden.