Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe of one of my friends in New Zealand. She cuts hers into layer and puts cream in between to add extra umph!!! You can freeze this uniced.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
Deluxe Chocolate Icing
- 2 2⁄3 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄3 cup hot water
- In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa, salt, sugar.
- Add butter.
- Then pour in water and vanilla essence.
- Beat with an electric beater for 2 minutes on high or with a hand beater for 250 strokes.
- Add eggs and beat 2 minutes or 250 strokes with hand beater.
- Pour into a 33cm x 23cm x 5cm oblong pan lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake at 180°C for 35-40 minutes or until cooked.
- Cool on wire rack in pan.
- Ice in pan with deluxe chocolate icing.
- Deluxe Chocolate Icing:.
- Sift together icing sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Add butter, egg yolk and hot water.
- Beat until smooth and easy to spread.