Had this at one of Tom Douglas' restaurants. Just had to make it at home. It is fabulous. Based on recipe by Tom Douglas. Adopted 9/06 (Mean Chef)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 classic pie crust, blind baked (see Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
Coconut Pastry Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 2 large eggs
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1To make the pastry cream, combine the milk and coconut in a medium saucepan.
- 2Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add both the seeds and pod to the milk mixture.
- 3Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and stir occasionally until the mixture almost comes to a boil.
- 4In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and flour until well combined.
- 5Temper the eggs (to keep them from scrambling) by pouring a small amount (about 1/3 Cup) of the scalded milk into the egg mixture while whisking.
- 6Then add the warmed egg mixture to the saucepan of milk and coconut.
- 7Whisk over medium-high heat until the pastry cream thickens and begins to bubble.
- 8Keep whisking until the mixture is very thick, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- 9Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- 10Add the butter and whisk until it melts.
- 11Remove and discard the vanilla pod.
- 12Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl and place it over a bowl of ice water.
- 13Stir occasionally until it is cool.
- 14Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a crust from forming and refrigerate until completely cold.
- 15The pastry cream will thicken as it cools.
- 16When the pastry cream is cold, fill the prebaked pie shell with it, smoothing the surface.
- 17In an electric mixer with the whisk, whip the heavy cream with the sugar and vanilla on medium speed.
- 18Gradually increase the speed to high and whip to peaks that are firm enough to hold their shape.
- 19Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip with the whipped cream and pipe it all over the surface of the pie, or spoon it over.
- 20For the garnish, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 21Spread the coconut chips on a baking sheet and toast in the oven, watching carefully and stirring once or twice, since coconut burns easily, until lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
- 22Use a vegetable peeler to scrape about 2 ounces of the white chocolate into curls.
- 23On The Plate: Cut the pie into 6 to 8 wedges and place on dessert plates.
- 24Decorate each wedge of pie with white chocolate curls and the toasted coconut.
- 25A Step Ahead: If not serving immediately, keep the pie refrigerated, covered with plastic wrap.
- 26The finished pie should be consumed within a day.
- 27Prepare the garnishes just before serving.
- 28The coconut pastry cream can be made a day ahead and stored chilled in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap as described above.
- 29Fill the pie shell and top it with whipped cream and garnishes when you are ready to serve the pie.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deluxe Coconut Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2009 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6588.0
- Calories from Fat 4438
- Total Fat 493.2 g
- Saturated Fat 308.5 g
- Cholesterol 1444.3 mg
- Sodium 2157.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 501.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.8 g
- Sugars 346.2 g
- Protein 70.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: