Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An easy sunday supper. You can use any cooked chicken. I've used anything from canned chicken to what I had left from KFC (including the crispy crust) to cooked up boneless chicken.
- 3 slice bacon
- 59.14 ml chopped onion
- 118.29 ml chopped celery
- 59.14 ml chopped green bell pepper
- 473.18 ml broccoli, in small florettes
- 113.39 g cansliced mushrooms, drained
- 297.66 g can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 709.77 ml cooked cubed chicken
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 14.79 ml milk
- 709.77 ml mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 59.14 ml milk
- 14.79 ml chopped pimiento
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can durkees French-fried onions
- Fry bacon in skillet until crisp.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Saute onion, celery, green pepper mushrooms and broccoli flowerettes in bacon dripping until tender.
- Do not brown.
- Combine soup and sour cream in a bowl.
- Add chicken, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, 1TBL milk, and sauteed vegetables; mix well.
- Turn into a 2 quart greased casserole.
- Combine mashed potatoes with eggs, crumbled bacon, milk, pimentos, and cheese; mix until just blended.
- Spread on top of casserole.
- Top with Durkee onions.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- (remove foil 10-15 minutes before end of baking.) Bake in moderate oven 350' degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- and top is nicely browned.
I used all ingredients I've had in the house so I took some liberties with your recipe... for starters what I thought was chicken was turkey when it thawed. I used light sour cream and Condensed Cream of Soup Mix ( Homemade Substitute ) for the cream of chicken soup, and did not add milk to this mix as it seemed pretty thin already. I didn't have any bacon so I started with the onion. Nor did I have celery, green pepper or mushrooms.I don't like mushrooms so I wouldn't miss those anyways. No broccoli either- so I used a blend of corn, green beans, peas, and carrots. I added a sprinkling of Penzey's Mural of Flavor. My mash potatoes had been frozen and didn't need any extra liquid so I only used 1 egg and left out the milk. I mixed in the cheddar cheese as well as some garlic salt- no pimentoes or french fried onion either. I assembled everything into 4 individual casserole... and they are in the fridge just waiting for dinner time.
This recipe has excellent, excellent flavor! I left out the mushrooms and used packaged real bacon bits for the bacon. I didn't have any pimientos either, but I don't think we missed them. I had mashed potatoes that I had frozen, and they thawed out so strange looking that I was afraid I'd ruin the whole recipe! They were runny and grainy looking. I didn't mix in extra milk because of their texture. When baked, they transformed back to normal, thank goodness!