Recipe by WaterMelon
Taken from Julia Child's The Way to Cook. I think it would be delicious as a sandwich filling too.
Top Review by SarahLynn
A cafe across the street from my work serves this on a cranberry ciabatta roll, now I know how to make it at home! I add a few extra walnuts and chop up some dried cranberries as well. Delicious!
- 6 cups skinless and boneless cooked chicken or 6 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite size pieces
- freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely cut tarragon leaves or 1⁄4 teaspoon fragrant dried tarragon
- 1 cup tender celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup scallions or 1⁄2 cup mild onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- fresh parsley
- 3 -5 slices of red pimentos
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken or turkey in a large mixing bowl with the salt, pepper, and oil.
- Add lemon juice, herbs, celery, onions, romaine and optional walnuts- mix well.
- Taste and add more salt/pepper/lemon juice if required.
- Let mixture marinate for at least 10 minutes, tossing several times.
- Drain any accumulated liquid out of the salad, then fold in just enough mayonnaise to coat the ingredients.
- Garnish before serving, if desired.
- Note: Salad may be prepared a day in advance; cover and refrigerate.