Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very good and easy to make. We serve this with 2 vegetables. Add some garlic powder and season salt to the creamy sauce for a good kick. Also, I butterfly each breast to evenly and quickly cook the chicken.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- paprika (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, combine the flour and bread crumbs.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg whites and water.
- Dip chicken in egg white mixture, then dredge in bread crumb mixture, turning to coat.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook, turning once, until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt margarine (or butter).
- Stir in flour until well combined.
- Slowly add milk stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup of cheddar.
- Place chicken breasts on serving plates.
- Drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar.
- Garnish with paprika and serve immediately.
This is my favorite recipe from Healthy Meals in Minutes, although they suggest using skim milk and low fat cheese on their recipe card, I have always used regular milk and cheese as stated here. Everyone I have made this for just loves it!
Lovely chicken breasts, like the idea of using just the egg white, cuts down on some of the fat, loved the crumb/flour coat also, it browned up nicely. The timing was right on, both for the chicken and the sauce. We particularly liked the sauce; quite delicious and light and the paprika was a nice final touch. Thanks for sharing we will be doing this one again.