Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from a Taste of Home cookbook. Since I am a popcorn freak, this is awesome.
- 4 quarts plain popped popcorn
- 5 cups miniature pretzels
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 2 cups non-chocolate candies (gumdrops, Skittles, etc.)
- Place popcorn and pretzels in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Cook and stir until candy thermometer reads 238°F (soft-ball stage).
- Remove from heat, stir in baking soda.
- Quickly pour over popcorn and mix thoroughly, stir in peanuts.
- Turn into two greased 9x13 inch baking pans.
- Bake at 200°F for 20 minutes.
- Bake 25 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven, add candy and mix well.
- Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool.
- Break into clusters.
- Store in airtight containers or plastic bags.
Made this with candy corn in it. Pretty good, but I ended up adding more salt to it after tasting.
It's not that I'm wanting to take away anything from CoffeB's version of this recipe, but for those who are interested, the original recipe calls for including 2 cups of non-chocolate candy (see Step 10 of the recipe to see where/when to add it)! When I made it I cut the recipe in half & then mixed half a cup of jelly beans into half of what I'd made! Both my other half & I liked the non-candy version (as in the ingredients shown in the recipe), but the candied version was just as well received when I put it out for our small group of friends, so I guess that makes it a winner no matter how you make it ~ Loved the combo of salty & sweet! Thanks for posting your version of the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
What a great treat last night. We didn't want to go out for snacks last night seeing that it is 20 below out, but popcorn, peanuts, and pretzels all in one..MMMmmm. A great treat, and a saver for me. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.