Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law. These bars are her favorite--I'd be in big trouble if these weren't on my Christmas cookie list every year!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped maraschino cherry
- Mix pastry ingredients with fingers until smooth.
- Pat into an 8- or 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- While pastry is baking, combine the filling ingredients.
- Spread over partially baked pastry.
- Return pan to oven, and bake for another 25 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool; cut into squares.
- *NOTE: Recipe can be easily doubled & baked in a 9 x 13 pan.