Recipe by CHRISSYG
Can you say GARLIC?? Don't fear, when you pan roast the garlic in olive oil you get this wonderfully sweet mellow flavor... then you have this bonus of roasted garlic olive oil to use later! I got this idea from Michael Chiarello on the food network but have made it my own.
- 20 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh roughly chopped rosemary
- 3 thick rib eye steaks (about 2 to 2 1/2-inches)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh finely grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Starting in a cold pan, add peeled garlic cloves and oil. Slowly bring the temperature of the oil up to medium low (do not jack up the heat, gentle roasting in oil is the goal).
- Stir garlic once or twice to ensure even browning. When all the cloves are evenly golden, remove them from the oil (You can re-use the oil in cooking other dishes).
- Smash garlic and the salt with the back of a fork until a paste forms. (there should be a few small pieces left) Add rosemary to garlic paste and mash that in as well.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Smear the remaining olive oil over the steaks and massage in the salt and pepper.
- Grill steaks approximately 3 1/2 minutes per side. Remove from grill and coat with the garlic paste, then press parmesan cheese into the garlic paste.
- Return to the grill for about 1-1/2 minutes per side again, to finish cooking meat to Med/Med-Rare and brown the parmesan crust.
- Allow meat to rest about 5 minutes before cutting.