Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is another side-dish that my 90 year old former neighbor, Nell, used to bring to our alley party/potlucks.
- 9 medium red potatoes, scrubbed
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Parboil, cool, peeled, and grated potatoes into a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Heat cream and milk in a medium saucepan.
- Add cheese, dry mustard, and salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Heat and stir until cheese is melted and mixture is creamy.
- Pour cheese mixture over potatoes.
- Do Not Stir!
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 1 hour or until top is nicely browned.
- This recipe may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake.