Recipe by highcotton
As all you crab afficionados know, the term "Delmarva" refers to the coastal areas bordering on the states of Delaware (Del), Maryland (mar)and Virginia (va) where the world's best crabmeat is harvested. Thing is that a lot of people go to a lot of trouble (and a lot of expense) to buy the best lump crabmeat available -- but then they use a mass-produced commercial product to season it. Weird! This recipe for 'homemade' seasoning is courtesy of Epicurious. All you Old Bay die-hards, I defy you to try it and tell me you can't taste a difference!! :)
Top Review by ReeLani
This is a tasty blend of flavors. Needed some Old Bay for a recipe and didn't have any and couldn't find at my local store. Back home I came and mixed this up, minus the bay leaf powder which I don't have. It's an interesting blend by itself, but mixed into a recipe it added a subtle and perfect flavor. Will no doubt make more in future.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients, stirring well to mix.
- Stored in a tightly-sealed container in a cool, dark place, seasonings will keep indefinitely.
- (Note: To give you a hint of how far this will go -- My favorite crab cake recipe is #81656 by pgserver6. To serve 10 people, this calls for 2 teaspoons of seasoning.).