Recipe by Mama Delilah
A very hearty version of my favorite soup. Add crushed red pepper to turn up the heat. It's delicious!! Perfect comfort food for a cold winter's day!
Top Review by pammyowl
Very good! I made it in a crock pot and waited until the next day to devour it, as soups are always better the next day. My DH, not a soup lover, even enjoyed it! Served with crusty bread and red wine, heaven! Thanks for posting, made for Spring PAC 2013
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can light kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onions or 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 6 idaho potatoes, skinned and cubed into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 pinch sage
- 5 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute celery, onion, carrots, and garlic in olive oil until carrots are beginning to soften (about 8-10 minutes)
- In large stock pot, combine kidney beans, chick peas, peas, tomaotes, tomato sauce, beef stock, and the sautéed celery, carrots, onion and potatos and stir.
- Add parsley, oregano, basil, sage, bay leaves, salt pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occaisionally, for 1 to 1/2 hours, or until potatos and carrots reach desired consistency.
- While simmering soup, prepare macaroni according to package directions.
- Serve soup with desired amount of the cooked macaroni.