Recipe by Adam K.
This is Delilah Winder's mac and cheese as featured on Oprah and throw down with Bobby Flay in which she came a very close second.
Top Review by Xexe
Thois recipe is a costly one to make, and ive made it a few times now. Its a bit bland for my tastes. So do yourself a favor and season the heavy cream before adding it to the cheeses. I use salt, crushed black pepper, a pinch of Cayenne and ground mustard. I also boil my pasta in chicken stock for maximum flavor. I actually leave the butter out, it only gives the recipe a greasy feel.
- 2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb butter (2 sticks, melted)
- 6 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup grated muenster cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Bring a large sauce pan of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente (about 10 minutes); drain and set aside to keep warm.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until frothy. Combine the Velveeta, butter, and 2 cups of the half and half in a large bowl. Add the warm macaroni and toss until the cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining half and half, 3 cups of the yellow cheddar, the remaining grated cheeses and the salt and pepper, tossing until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13 inch casserole or baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of yellow cheddar cheese and bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes more. Serve hot.