Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Great brunch for your dear one, or a light dinner on a hot night when you don't want to heat up the kitchen too much. Recipe is for one sandwich, for more simply multiply the amounts by how many you want. If you don't have a sandwich making iron (what the French call a Croque Monsieur) you can fry it in a skillet until the cheese melts. But it is much more attractive made in an iron.
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 small tart apple, thinly sliced
- 2 slices bread
- If using a sandwich making iron, butter the outside of the bread so it won't stick to the iron.
- Put one slice of bread on the iron and place half of the cheeses on it.
- Put the apple slices on top of the cheese.
- Put the remaining cheeses on top of the apple.
- Put the top slice of bread on and close the iron.
- Trim off the overhanging bread and toast over medium low flame until the bread is golden brown.
- Check often so that it doesn't burn.
- Serve with fresh fruit and a scoop of sorbet.
This a nice refreshing sandwich (and a bonus it has protein, dairy, fibre and fruit) I will make this again. (I used my panini press so I didn't need butter. Leanne