Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Cook time is the chill time for this sugar free mousse. This uses the large 8 serving size box of jello. 12/3/08 I'm editing this recipe to take away 1 1/4 cups of liquid since there has been problems with the amounts used.
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water (was 1 1/2 c)
- 1 (5/8 ounce) package sugar-free lemon Jell-O powder
- 2 teaspoon lemons, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cold apple juice (was 1 c)
- 1 (8 ounce) containercool whip fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed pureed in blender
- Stir boiling water into gelatin and lemon peel in bowl until completely dissolved.
- Mix apple juice and ice to measure 1 cup (was 1 3/4 c).
- Stir into gelatin until slightly thickened.
- Stir in whipped topping with wire whisk.
- Pour half of the raspberry sauce into dessert dishes, top with mousse, finish with remaining sauce.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Note: I reduced the amounts of liquid after problems with this recipe.
I don't know what I did wrong! The whip topping separated from the jello, and the remaining jello didn't set at all, in keeping with a consistency of egg whites. If I made it again, I wouldn't add the ice to the apple juice, and allow more time to set.
I had the same problem although to a lesser degree. Only a little of my jello separated from the cool whip. I cut down on the liquid like mikekey but not as much. I ended up using the same amount of boiling water as listed and only using 3/4 cup apple juice with a few ice cubes to make it 1 cup. The result was still not mousse-like. It was just like making jello and them mixing in cool whip after it was done. Tasted good, just not what I was hoping for. I used sugar-free peach jello since they don't seem to sell the 8-person size of sugar-free lemon here. I didn't puree raspberries. Instead, I use some raspberry jam that had been thinned with just a little bit of apple juice and warmed to make smooth. Thanks for posting!
I made this last night and had the same problem as iCAnCOok did -- separation of the topping/jello. I think this must have been my mistake as I used only a small box of jello, not a large. BUT, we scooped the topping off the top and used it anyway :) and it was very tasty. Loved the subtle lemon flavor. I will make this again (correctly) and update my review after that. I'm giving it a 4 for flavor and the ease of putting it together. We had it with mixed berries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries and the flavor mix was very nice. Good thing I'm not giving myself points for following instructions... :(