Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just found this recipe among many in a file. I noted in February 1996 that we liked it alot. There is no identity of the magazine on the clipping. It said at that point that it makes 35 bars for $2.05. Bet the price has risen!!!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut in pats
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350*. Line 13"x9"x2" baking pan with aluminum foil so foil overhangs short ends. Lightly coat with non-stick vegetable-oil cooking spray.
- Prepare crust: Combine flour, butter, sugar and salt in food processor. Whirl with on-and-off pulses until mixture resembles coarse meal. Or in medium-size bowl cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender or 2 knives held scissor fashion.
- Scrape crust into prepared pan; spread level and pat down to compact evenly.
- Bake crust in 350* oven for 20 minutes or until lightly colored.
- Meanwhile, prepare Filling: Combine sugar flour, baking powder, lemon juice, eggs and rind in food processor. Whirl until well blended. Pour mixture over hot crust.
- Bake in 350* oven for 20 minutes or just until set in the center. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely. Carefully lift foil to remove whole Lemon Bar. Cut into squares. Dust with confectioners' sugar and remove from foil. Bars can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 1 week.