Recipe by looneytunesfan
From Taste of Home. Acini di pepe are tiny pellets of pasta. This recipe was tested with DaVinci brand pasta. You may substitute 1 pound of macaroni or other pasta if desired.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) package acini di pepe pasta
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in pineapple juice. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover surface of dressing with waxed paper; refrigerate until cooled.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. Place in a very large bowl; stir in the oranges, pineapple, marshmallows, coconut and dressing. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.