1 hr 10 mins
Also known as the "matrimonial square," this recipe overflows with wholesome goodness, given the oats and the dates, which are full of iron. Date squares are a prestigious confection perfect for those unexpected occasions when royalty comes a knocking. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and add the dates and 1/2 tsp of the salt, and simmer until the dates are soft and will mix easily with the water.
- 3Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 4In a large bowl, stir together the oat flakes, flour, sweetener, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- 5Add the margarine and oil and stir together until well combined.
- 6If the crust is too dry, add the optional water.
- 7Press half of the crust mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- 8Spread the date mixture over the top, spreading out with the back of a large spoon.
- 9Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the top.
- 10Bake for 25-40 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and tender.
- 11Crust will harden when it cools so cut into squares before it gets too difficult!
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delightful Date Squares
Serving Size: 1 (1231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.9
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 131.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: