Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Also known as the "matrimonial square," this recipe overflows with wholesome goodness, given the oats and the dates, which are full of iron. Date squares are a prestigious confection perfect for those unexpected occasions when royalty comes a knocking. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and add the dates and 1/2 tsp of the salt, and simmer until the dates are soft and will mix easily with the water.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oat flakes, flour, sweetener, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add the margarine and oil and stir together until well combined.
- If the crust is too dry, add the optional water.
- Press half of the crust mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Spread the date mixture over the top, spreading out with the back of a large spoon.
- Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the top.
- Bake for 25-40 minutes, until the top is lightly browned and tender.
- Crust will harden when it cools so cut into squares before it gets too difficult!