Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fablous dish for a luncheon. Having tried this before, I can say it is really easy to make,and you may make it the day before if you desire. Serve with an English pea salad, or with a slice of cantalope, or honey dew melon.
- 16 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish, and line the bottom with 8 slices of bread, buttered on 1 side, buttered side up.
- Cover with sliced chicken.
- Spread chicken slices with mayonnaise and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Top with 8 remaining slices of bread.
- Beat together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper and pour over entirecasserole.
- Refrigerate all day or overnight.
- When ready to bake, spread mushroom soup with back of large spoon over top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Uncover, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
This is one of our favorite recipes! I am only cooking for two now and it was easy to reduce the amounts and bake in a smaller dish. (When I make half a recipe, it still gives us two meals.) I found that I bake it the same amount a time and sprinkle with a bit more cheddar cheese on top. Yum!
There are only 2 of us so I halvd this recipe. I cooked it 45 minutes total but other than that followed to a T. DH loved it and I also thought it was pretty good. Thanks for a good dinner.