Recipe by Helping Hands
This casserole is heavenly! It has the most wonderful flavor! This one is best if you cook the chicken, rather than buy pre-cooked chicken or use leftovers, because you cook the rice in the broth, which is the secret to the delicious flavor. I got this recipe off of another site and everyone that I have served it to just loves it!
Top Review by MadzMom
This is fabulous! Some slight modifications: I only used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and boiled for 25 min., and 1 package of rice. I put it all in an 8 x 8 baking dish. (There's only 2 of us, so didn't need larger quantity.) I also threw in about 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese in the mixture. The result was fantastic! Very creamy, hearty, cheesy and just delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 3 lbs chicken breast halves
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 10.75 oz
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cooking white wine
- 1 can sliced mushrooms, 16 oz,drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) packages long grain and wild rice blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix water, onion, celery, wine, salt, and curry powder in large saucepan.
- Add chicken breasts.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for one hour.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Reserve broth.
- Place chicken in fridge to cool.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare the rice according to package directions, replacing water with reserved broth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix chicken, mushrooms, and rice in bowl.
- Blend in soup and sour cream.
- Mix well.
- Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spoon mixture into dish.
- Cook for one hour.
- NOTE: If mixture is chilled before cooking, allow to stand at room temp for 30 mins before baking.