Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This casserole is heavenly! It has the most wonderful flavor! This one is best if you cook the chicken, rather than buy pre-cooked chicken or use leftovers, because you cook the rice in the broth, which is the secret to the delicious flavor. I got this recipe off of another site and everyone that I have served it to just loves it!
- Mix water, onion, celery, wine, salt, and curry powder in large saucepan.
- Add chicken breasts.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for one hour.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Reserve broth.
- Place chicken in fridge to cool.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare the rice according to package directions, replacing water with reserved broth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix chicken, mushrooms, and rice in bowl.
- Blend in soup and sour cream.
- Mix well.
- Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spoon mixture into dish.
- Cook for one hour.
- NOTE: If mixture is chilled before cooking, allow to stand at room temp for 30 mins before baking.
This is fabulous! Some slight modifications: I only used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and boiled for 25 min., and 1 package of rice. I put it all in an 8 x 8 baking dish. (There's only 2 of us, so didn't need larger quantity.) I also threw in about 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese in the mixture. The result was fantastic! Very creamy, hearty, cheesy and just delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!
Made this tonight for my family. I did saute fresh mushrooms(my preference) and simmered the chicken breasts as the recipe calls for. Loved the idea of using the broth for the rice so since I had more chicken breasts then called for I added extra water and wine to cover all, with just slightly more seasonings. When I was putting the casserole together I did find it a little thick so added a bit more broth to the mixture before putting in the oven for 30min just long enough to allow the flavors to blend as everything was still warm when it went in. Next time I will forgo the packaged rice mix and cook up my own long grain and wild rice as my family really enjoys the wild rice and would have liked more of it in the casserole.
I have been making this casserole for years. It is one of my most requested recipes - everyone loves it! I do just a couple of things differntly.......I use fresh sliced mushrooms that I sautee before adding to the casserole. (I also reserve some for decorating the top of the casserole) Also, I use cooking sherry instead of white wine. It gives the casserole a fantastic flavor! One other thing I do differently is I cook a whole chicken. This is a great recipe to double and freeze. It freezes beautifully. Make it....you will love it! :)