Recipe by C. Taylor
This is a delicious and easy way to get more beans into your diet. This is an extremely versatile recipe, and you can easily change the taste by simply changing the seasonings. The recipe below is just a guideline for your own creativity, and I tend to adjust the ingredients based on what I have on hand. This is extremely healthy and the low cost can't be beat. Serve plain, in a tortilla, pita, or bun, topped with the sauce (below) tomato, onion, lettuce, etc.
Top Review by KLHquilts
So sorry -- I really wanted to like this, but it just didn't work for me. I used chickpeas, 1 large egg, and one small onion. The mixture never really came together -- I had added in over 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, and it was still very mushy, not at all like a burger. I didn't want to add more breadcrumbs, feeling that I'd end up eating a bread sandwich. It really felt like hummus, except I can't use it as hummus because of the raw egg. Too bad! I loved your mix-and-match approach.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (drain liquid) or 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (drain liquid)
- 1 egg
- 1 onion
- approximately 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, crushed crackers or flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin (optional)
- nonstick cooking spray
Seasonings (feel free to mix and match)
- curry powder
- garam masala
- smoked paprika
- minced chipotle pepper
- cajun seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder or 1 tablespoon mince garlic
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the patties, chop in a food processor (can be done in a mini processor if doing it in small batches) beans, onion, garlic, and chosen seasonings until beans are coarsely chopped. Stir in egg and enough breadcrumbs or flour to make the mixture workable.
- In a nonstick pan, spray with non stick spray or add a little oil. Take mixture and form into a patty approximately 1/2 inch thick. Brown on each side over med - med high heat, taking care when flipping (can be delicate).
- In a small bowl, mix ingredients for sauce.
- Serve patty drizzled with sauce, in a tortilla, pita, bun or plain. Feel free to top with tomato, onion, lettuce, etc.