- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan whisk together the zest, the lemon juice, the sugar, and the eggs; whisk in 1 cup of the half-and-half and the vanilla, and cook the mixture over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until it just comes to a simmer.
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on the zest, and chill it, covered with plastic wrap, until it is cold.
- Whisk in the remaining 1 cup half-and-half and freeze the mixture in an ice-cream freezer according to the manufacturer's instructions.