Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I've adapted over years and years until it was 'just right' (to my taste, anyway).
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted (optional)
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In large bowl, cream butter for 1 minute; add sugar and beat for 4 minutes longer or until light and fluffy; beat in eggs.
- In separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, orange zest and juice.
- In third bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices; stir one-third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture; mix in half the pumpkin mixture; add another one-third flour mixture and remaining pumpkin mixture; sprinkle with remaining flour mixture, raisins and/or nuts; mix.
- Spoon batter into greased 8- x 4- inch loaf pan; tap pan lightly on counter to remove air bubbles; bake in 350°F oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until loaf is well risen and golden and tester inserted in center comes out clean; transfer pan to wire rack and let stand for 5 minutes.
- TOPPING: Remove loaf from pan, transfer to rack; brush butter over top of cake; combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over cake; let cool completely.
I made these as muffins and everyone loved them! I used pureed fresh pumpkin instead of the canned and pumpkin pie spice instead of all the other spices. I didn't make the topping for it, but did stir in chocolate chips instead of raisins. Made 12 muffins and baked for 30 minutes. Definitely a keeper!
What a delicious bread! This recipe for pumpkin bread has the lightest texture of any pumpkin bread recipe I have ever encountered. The flavor is also milder and more delicate than other recipes I've tried. With a personality all it's own, this recipe stands out! I did not include the golden raisins in my bread because I did not have any on hand, but I do see how they would only enhance this wonderful recipe! Thanks yet again, Evelyn!
This make a lovely light and moist pumpkin cake! I opted for using the sultanas and 1/2 cup walnuts. I'll be making this one again, everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing:)