Recipe by Ruti
This is a white cake i came up with by combining a couple of different recipe's. It reminds me a bit in its flavor of fresh pancakes! But just slightly!!! I use alot of vanilla in it, but you can substitute the vanilla for part vanilla part almond extract - part rum flavoring!! (yum!!!) or you can just put in less vanilla! I've done it all those ways, and each way comes out spectacular! When you take it out of the oven DON'T EAT IT RIGHT AWAY!!! It needs to sit until its cool and thats when it will have the best flavor. Hope you enjoy!!!
Top Review by punkie_59
I am a pastry chef and have been making this cake for all the weddings and specialty desserts. I have had rave reviews, and all have said that this was the best white cake they've ever had!!! I will never stop making this cake!! Thank you
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter or 12 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Grease, line, grease again and flour 2 9 in by 2 in cake pans.
- In a small bowl combine the milk and vinegar. Allow to sit for a minute, and then add the baking soda.
- In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, a quarter cup milk, and the vanilla (and any other flavorings you are using).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix them together on low to blend.
- Add the butter/margarine and remaining 3/4 cup milk. Mix on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes to aerate.
- Scrape down the sides and add a small amount of the egg mixture, beating for 20 seconds to incorporate. Continue in the same method twice more until all the egg mixture has been incorporated.
- Add the boiling water. Scrape down the sides of the bowl AND scrape the bottom of the bowl to loosen anything stuck to it. Beat on low to incorporate then increase to high for 30 seconds.
- Pour in to the prepared pans. The batter should fill half way in each.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the top half of the oven if possible.