1/3 Photos of Delicious Zucchini French Fries
A slightly naughty but nice way with this veggie, which can be bland. This is delicious as snack, side dish, and especially to serve with hamburgers instead of french fries! Always make more than you think will be eaten, because it's always a hit! Here, I give quantities, but it's approximate. So is the time required. It's no problem slicing the zucchini earlier in the day and keeping it, covered, in a bowl, until needed. It absorbs very little oil and no deep oil cooking is required. Have some flaky sea salt handy ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash, top and tail the small zucchinis.
- 2Slice each in half, then slice into julienne strips, thin, like thin french fries. At this stage they can be put into a plastic bag or bowl, and kept until needed.
- 3To prepare: Squeeze the juice from 1/2 of the lemon -- you should have about 3 - 4 tablespoons. In a bowl, toss the zucchini strips, using a large spoon, with the lemon juice, until damp. Use more lemon juice if necessary.
- 4Mix the flour and cornflour (less than the 1/3 cup mentioned: my maths is bad) in a bowl, and add the black pepper and seasoning salt. (You can actually leave out the salt and rather put flaky sea salt on the table for salting later).
- 5Chuck this flour mixture into the bowl of zucchini fries, and toss until more or less coated -- neat work is not necessary.
- 6Heat about 1 inch of oil in a medium saucepan, preferably with heavy bottom.
- 7When hot, using a slotted metal spoon, add a good heaped spoonful of zucchini strips to the oil. (I find that it takes about 10 minutes for the zucchini to actually start browning).
- 8You can fry them until just done (they won't be crisp, but still nice) or you can fry them until golden brown. They do not colour evenly, which doesn't matter.
- 9Put out a few thicknesses of kitchen paper towels next to the pot. When the zucchini strips turn colour, take out with slotted spoon and let drain on the kitchen paper. Repeat process.
- 10The quantity given above was about 4 batches to fry (it depends on the saucepan and you!).
- 11Tip each drained batch into an oven dish, and keep warm -- but serve as soon as possible, while crisp. Flaky sea salt on unseasoned fries is delicious.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Zucchini French Fries
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.8
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g