Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
You've got to try this! This is my mom's recipe--it's delicious and easy to prepare! Kids love it, too! The recipe calls for bread crumbs, but we prefer crushed Ritz crackers. Depending on the size of your zucchini, most people can eat two halves.
- 8 zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- paprika (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or 1 cup crushed cracker
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Wash zucchini; boil whole for 5 to 10 minutes--no more.
- Cut off ends and slice in halves lengthwise.
- Place in single layer in buttered casserole dish.
- Melt butter and mix in cheddar cheese, sour cream, salt, paprika, and chives.
- Pour over zucchini.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs or crackers and then parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
This is an awesome side dish- especially when you are getting sick of the green beans and plain flavored veggies. My husband loves this and he hates veggies. One suggestion- do NOT precook the zucchini. Just by baking it it gets soft. It's a waste of time and makes it too mushy. I've prepared this ahead of time (up to a day) and then just slid it in the oven. Super easy and tasty.
Made this with a lb. of cooked ground beef mixed with sauteed onions on top of the zucchini followed by the other mixture of ingredients and it was excellent. I used a ritz cracker topping. I may have used a little extra extra sharp cheddar also. My entire family loved it.
We scarfed these up in no time!! I microwaved the squash for 1 minute, which made them perfectly tender. Used the cracker crumbs, & cut the butter by half. Delicious!