Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Actually, I believe I got the basic recipe for this bread from this site, and have modified it a bit. Simple, fast and delicious!
- 4 cups very warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (I use SAF instant)
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup light olive oil or 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vitamin C powder (it helps the bread to rise better) (optional)
- 12 cups whole wheat flour (may be a little more or less)
- 2 tablespoons lecithin granules (optional)
- Proof yeast by mixing with 1 Tablespoon honey and 1/4 cup warm water in a glass measuring cup.
- Set aside and allow to stand until it bubbles up - 5-10 minutes.
- If using instant yeast, skip this step and mix yeast in with dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl blend together water, salt, honey, oil and vitamin C powder.
- Add 3 cups of the flour and the yeast mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add in as much of the remaining flour as you can stir in .
- Then turn out onto a board and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Try not to add too much more than the 6 cups called for in the recipe.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down, divide in half and shape into two loaves.
- Place in oiled pans, cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown.
this is an amazing bread. one packet of yeast is enough for the entire recipe.
it is really easy to make and ever so tasty.
my whole family (even the kids) loves it!
at the end of baking, i drizzle the loaves with a little oil (or butter) and honey - then sprinkle a little sea salt on top.
i also sub 1 cup wheat germ for one of the cups of flour - and i add ground flax when i have it.
thanks for this recipe! it's a keeper.
This is our go-to sandwich bread! I alternate between cutting the whole wheat with white, to lighten the consistency, to using all whole wheat. This is a simple, flavorful, moist wholesome loaf. Thank you for posting! The only bread we have in the house is what we bake ourselves, so it says a lot that we make this recipe almost every week. Thanks again!
Super yummy recipe. Even my picky kids liked it!! Nice, big rising loaf. Wonderful texture. Rich and filling but not too dense like other recipes I've tried.