Recipe by Cathieg
This white chili recipe was given to me by a neighbor and is the best one I have found. When making it, I use lowfat sour cream, lowfat or fat free half & half.
Top Review by roxygibbs
VERY GOOD, nice creamy flavor. So I have a record of what I altered...i'm going to bore you readers: 3 (15 oz) cans of navy beans (use 1 or 2 cans of white northern instead of all 3 same) 3 chicken breasts (1 1/2 lb) 1 can green chilis same amount of butter and flour about 2 T sliced, canned jalapanos (and cut smaller) 2 onions and banana peppers 2 cups 1/2 & 1/2 with additional milk and cilantro pesto (blended cilantro) try lime juice next time??? Great spice...adults and 9 year old loved it.
- 1 (48 ounce) jar great northern beans
- 5 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream or 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion in 2 Tbsp of the olive oil until soft and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, add remaining olive oil on low and add flour, stirring continuously to make a roux.
- Stir in onion, then gradually add broth, and half and half, whisking constantly.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer.
- Stir in tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt, and white pepper, beans, chicken, and chilies, simmer for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sour cream, and half and half and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, salsa, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, and sour cream.