Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
Can't remember where I came across this but I've remembered the recipe over the years and enjoy it when heirloom tomatoes are available. If you don't grow them yourself check your local stand, I am lucky enough to have a Tom's Farms that carries them in Summer...
- 1 bagel, plain, sliced in half
- 1 heirloom tomato, thickly sliced (beefsteak is fine if you can't find)
- 1 dash kosher salt
- 1 dash fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Place 1 thick slice of tomato on each bagel half, top with 1 slice Provolone on each & sprinkle with Oregano, salt & pepper.
- Turn oven to broil & set rack second from the top and toast for about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it so you don't burn it, you want it heated through with the cheese a little melty.
- Enjoy! This is a lovely light lunch -- .