Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This combines couscous with walnuts and vegetables, then punches up the flavor with a peppery blend. Really great vegetarian dish! I eat couscous a lot at college, so this is my quick, easy method for one person. Feel free to fiddle with the quantities and ingredients -- I just posted it here so I wouldn't forget it. I buy plain organic couscous and dried vegetables in bulk at my local health food store. I also use Frontier Organics "Pepperman" Seasoning Blend, to taste (contains salt, black pepper, chili pepper, garlic, and bell peppers). They wouldn't let me put it in the ingredients. :) Scrumptious!
- boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup organic instant couscous (plain)
- 2 -3 tablespoons organic dried mixed vegetables (carrots, spinach, and tomatoes are all good)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped organic walnuts
- Pour boiling water into glass measuring cup: I find that a little less than 1/3 cup works best for this amount of couscous, but I like it pretty dry. If you like your couscous moister, use a full 1/3 cup.
- Immediately add couscous and veggies.
- Cover measuring cup tightly (I use a folded paper towel and a small bowl which fits nicely inside the top of the cup to seal in the steam).
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in walnuts; season to taste, and eat it while it's hot! I just eat it right out of the measuring cup. :).