Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I invented myself after tweaking a few Italian sausage soup recipes I've tried. This is wonderful on a cold winter night or anytime you want to throw together a quick and tasty dinner served w/ garlic bread and a nice salad.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (24 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Brown Italian sausage until no longer pink.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add carrots, zucchini, bell pepper, chicken broth, red wine, tomato sauce and seasonings, except for the parmesan cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, occasionally stir.
- Serve in large bowl (you will want more!) and add pamesan cheese if desired.
Great tasting soup! I used a mild Italian sausage & a couple of large cloves of garlic, low sodium tomato sauce (& chicken broth) & also used lemon pepper instead of the salt & pepper! Wonderful & definitely a keeper! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]