1/2 Photos of Delicious Veal and Pork Bolognese Sauce
2 hrs 30 mins
This sauce must be cooked for 2 hours or even more is even better! the first hour covered then the last uncovered. If possible prepare this sauce one day in advance and refrigerated, it will increase the flavor. This is a very hearty sauce, you can also add in a can or plum tomatoes, chopped and drained if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (you can add in more to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth (or beef consomme for an even richer flavor)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- whipped cream (optional)
- parmesan cheese
- cooked pasta
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- 2Add in the diced bacon and saute until beginning to brown (about 5 minutes).
- 3Add in the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, thyme, basil, dryed pepper flakes and bay leaves; saute for about 5-6 minutes.
- 4Add in tomato paste; cook stiring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- 5Then add in the ground veal and pork; cook until cooked through and well browned (about 12 minutes, the meat should be BROWNED well!).
- 6Add in the wine then simmer for about 8 minutes uncovered.
- 7Add in the broth and crushed tomatoes; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- 8Uncover and season with salt and pepper; simmer for another hour or more (uncovered).
- 9If you prefer a creamy sauce, add in about 1/4 cup whipping cream towards the end of cooking.
- 10Serve over cooked pasta and top with parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Veal and Pork Bolognese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (544 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.9
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 120.2 mg
- Sodium 905.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 32.9 g