Recipe by KathyP53
No canned soup in this wonderful version!
Top Review by Marie Nixon
I chose this recipe because I was looking for a tuna noodle casserole that did not use canned soup. I believe there is a mistake in the ingredients list. The first ingredient is 10 teaspoons butter. But Step 5 says to melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Four tablespoons of butter is equal to 12 teaspoons so that is already more than the 10 teaspoons listed in the ingredients list and then step 14 says to 'melt remaining butter...'. So I went with melting 4 tablespoons of butter as stated in step 5. And then I melted another 4 tablespoons of butter to mix in with the bread crumbs in step 14. All went well. I added finely minced celery with the onions. The casserole definitely needed the suggested salt and pepper.
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 cups flat egg noodles
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3 1⁄3 cups milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna in vegetable oil, drained and broken into small chunks (packed in oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups homemade fresh breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rub inside of a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoons butter.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil over high heat.
- Add noodles and cook until al dente, 5-7 minutes. Drain and transfer noodles to a large bowl.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add half the scallions and cook until softened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour and mustard and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minutes.
- Gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil.
- Cook sauce, stirring frequently, until smooth and thickened, 16-18 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer sauce to bowl with noodles.
- Add tuna and stir gently to combine.
- Transfer tuna-noodle mixture to prepared dish.
- Melt remaining butter and toss with remaining scallions, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Scatter seasoned bread crumbs over tuna-noodle mixture and bake until golden brown and bubbling, 20-25 minutes.
- Let casserole cool slightly before serving.