Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe goes back years, it is a family favorite that I still make to this day, and I have also make it using cooked chicken or cooked turkey in place of the tuna, is a easy basic casserole, but it has tons of flavor!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 -2 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (can use red bell pepper or use both!)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup flaked solid white tuna, well drained (I just use a small can or can add in 2 cans)
- 1 (375 g) package egg noodles, cooked
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs or 3⁄4 cup finely ground cracker crumb
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- In a skillet saute the onion, celery, green bell peppers and garlic (if using) in butter for about 3 minutes.
- Add in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add in the milk.
- Return to the heat and whisk until thickened and the sauce comes to a boil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add in mushrooms, cheddar cheese and tuna; mix to combine, then add in the cooked egg noodles.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs then Parmesan cheese if using, then drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
Very good! I think next time, I will try and scale it down a bit, cause it made alot! :)
This recipe is excellent. I was afraid I lost the recipe, and looked on here but only found the ones with canned soup. I looked for it again, and found it, and I'm rating it so I know in the future which one was so great!! I used 2 % milk and omitted peppers, everyone raves when I make it. I also leave out the melted butter on top.
By far my favorite tuna noodle casserole recipe! I used green onions and didn't have celery, but added two cloves of garlic. I used peas instead of mushrooms and only had 2% milk which worked great! I topped with a little more cheese and crushed seasoned croutons. I made a 12oz bag of egg noodles but added only about 8oz of them and it was perfectly creamy... loved it! My youngest child says she wants leftovers for breakfast:)