Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
You will get rave reviews from your family or guests when you serve this tuna casserole! You can use leftover chicken or turkey in place of tuna.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule (or less)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (can use less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste (I use 2 teaspoon seasoned salt)
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 2 1⁄2 cups medium noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 (12 1/4 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked
- 2⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 3-qt casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and 1 tbsp (or less) bouillon granules to a boil, stirring to dissolve.
- Add the next eight ingredients; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Combine the cornstarch and cream until smooth; add to veggie mixture, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a light boil; boil for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheeses and mayo, until the cheese is melted.
- Fold in the cooked noodled and tuna.
- Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with melted butter; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
My 7 YO DS said "Momma, you KNOW I don't like tuna"...as he cleaned his plate! The mushrooms and homemade sauce that was free of canned soup is what sold me on this recipe. I knew it would be a winner and it absolutely was! Thanks for a tuna dish that I can make KNOWING my kids will eat it!
This recipe was a bit time intensive for a tuna noodle casserole, but quite good. I used Dubliner cheese but otherwise made exactly as shown. It has the most complex flavor of any tuna noodle casserole I've had and if I were to ever serve tuna noodle casserole to guests, this would be the one!