Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
Mom made this for use for years. My grandkids love it.
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cans water
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons crushed chili peppers
- meatballs (from Swedish Meatballs)
- In a deep saute pan.
- Saute Garlic in oil.
- Add remainder of ingredients, but meat balls.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 1/2-3 hours .
- The longer you simmer the thicker the sauce.
- Last 15 minutes add meat balls.
- Serve over fresh cooked spaghetti.
This is a good basic sauce recipe, and it's very easy. I only used 1 tablespoon of crushed red peppers, and the sauce had a kick to it. If I make it again, I'll scale the pepper flakes back even more. I'm afraid that 2 tablespoons would have made it WAY too spicy.
Great for what you have on hand!
This is by far the best spaghetti sauce recipe. The sauce sticks to the pasta, as it should. The first time i made it, i mighta overdid the chili peppers (was wayyy 2 hot), so this time i omitted them entirely and added mushrooms. The crushed tomatoes make it spicy anyway, so i added a heaping tbsp. of sugar. I made my own meatballs in the oven, adding them the last 20 minutes to the sauce, and thickened it up a bit with 1-1/2 tbsp. corn starch mixed w/tiny bit of water. DE-LISH!!!