Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Granny made these delights at the holidays, but honestly, they're good for any time at all! Fun to get the kids involved in because they love leaving their imprint in the cookie dough. Soft, sandy, light texture makes it hard not to eat just one.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks (separated)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Cream softened butter with sugar until fluffy and light; add vanilla.
- Separate eggs (reserving whites) and add yolks one at a time to butter mixture combining thoroughly.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet mixture and knead together.
- Roll a teaspoon of dough into a ball and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Gently press your thumb into the center of the ball and flatten, leaving a small well in which to put your favorite jam or fondant icing.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and Bake for 12 minutes.
- While still warm, fill each thumbprint and dust the cookies with confectionery sugar before serving.
These cookies were so easy to make & tasted GREAT!!!! Thanks for posting it.