Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of the best potato soups, I think the sour cream makes the difference, I like to add in the cayenne pepper for just a bit of heat, and I most always double the complete recipe and use 4 russet potatoes and 4 red potatoes. If desired you can add in some cooked cubed potatoes just before serving and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese, I most always do! you will love this!
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes (I use OXO brand, can use the small packages in place of cubes)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup full-fat milk (or use 2 cups half-and-half cream)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (i use seasoned salt)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- green onion
- Place the potatoes in a pot with chicken broth, onions, garlic and celery; bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from the stove and cool slightly (or you can refrigerate to puree later) using an electric mixer or a food processor blend until a smooth (leaving a few chunks of potatoes is fine!).
- Add in 1 cup milk or half and half, Parmesan cheese and bouillon cubes or packets, then place back on the stove to heat slowly.
- In a medium bowl whisk the 1-1/2 cups sour cream with the flour until blended.
- Pour 1/3 of the heated potato/milk mixture into the sour cream; mix then pour it back into the remainder of the soup; stir to combine, then heat on top of the stove.
- Season with salt and pepper and cayenne pepper (if using) then ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped green onions.
Another 5 stars to Kittencal! This is the Potato Soup Recipe I've been looking for for half my life! I made it with everyday grocery store Parmesan and next time I will buy and grate some good Parmesan. This recipe is so good it deserves top shelf ingredients. I used Salt Free Bouillion (due to Doctors orders) and low sodium broth as called for and then I added one can of regular chicken broth so that there was some salt. It came out great. I'm sure there's some salt in the cheese too. :) Thank you for being here providing us with so many wonderful recipes! Hats off to Kittencal! Thanks!
This has become a family fav over the last several months. I double the recipe --- and it also freezes well. I do modify it a bit - I don't mash the potatoes (but I do the onion and celery) and I add 8 oz of cream cheese and use skim milk. Warning --- The calories are high but talk about comfort food --- Yummy!!!
I should have taken some of the suggestions to double this recipe. This is SO good! I used approximately 2 lbs of potatoes, added a medium carrot, diced, and LOTS of garlic. Used homemade chicken broth, skim milk, and low-fat sour cream. Used a home-made seasoning salt that has a little bit of heat to it. Garnished with the green onions and cooked and crumbled bacon. Tasted just like a loaded baked potato. The sour cream really adds the extra dimension to this soup. I will be making this again. Thank you for another winner, Kitten! :)