Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These are fabulous starters - an explosion of flavour modified from a recipe by the Spirit House restaurant and Cooking School. If you cannot obtain betel leaves (cha plu) you can use baby spinach or butter lettuce leaves.
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red shallot, chopped finely
- 1 lemongrass, white part only finely chopped
- 1 -2 red chile, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 lime, peeled and finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup lychees, chopped (canned okay)
- 20 betel leaves
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- To make dressing combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- To assmeble combine all filling ingredients except leaves in a bowl. Toss with dressing.
- To serve arrange leaves on a platter and spoon filling onto each leaf.