Recipe by shelbyrose
As the name implies, this salad is absolutely delicious. Everyone that's ever eaten it ooooh's and aaaah's about how great it tastes. Plan ahead, as preparation begins the night before. (Prep time does not include refrigeration time)
- 4 Red Delicious apples, unpeeled
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, packed in juice
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup chopped Spanish peanut
- lemon juice
- additional chopped Spanish peanut (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before, drain pineapple juice from can into a sauce pan, saving the juice.
- In a bowl, combine the drained pineapple and marshmallows; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine the sugar and flour into the pineapple juice in saucepan.
- Cook until bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and VERY SLOWLY, add well beaten egg to the cooked mixture.
- Return pan to heat and cook 2 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, cut apples into bitesize chunks, squirting with a little lemon juice to keep from turning brown.
- In a large serving bowl, combine apples, peanuts, and pineapple/marshmallow mixture.
- Combine the whipped topping and juice mixture.
- Stir well into the apple mixture and chill a few hours before serving.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts.