1/1 Photo of Delicious Sweet Challah
3 hrs 30 mins
Sarah Chana's Note:
This is from Kosher by Design by Susie Fishbein. It uses 5 lbs of flour, enough to warrant the making of the special blessing over bread dough. It is very sweet and wonderful. I used natural sugar for it; even more wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Proof the yeast: Place the 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, 1 tbl sugar in a large glass measuring cup or bowl. Set aside until yeast gets bubbly.
- 2In a separate bowl, combine the 2 cups sugar, boiling water, salt, and oil.
- 3Crack eggs into large bowl (or your mixer bowl). Add proofed yeast, mix again. Add the sugar/water mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- 4Add the flour in batches, incorporating well each time.
- 5Knead dough for 10-15 minutes, adding flour as needed until you get that earlobe texture.
- 6Place dough in a large bowl (greased), cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, punching down in the interim.
- 7Turn out dough onto floured surface. Separate the piece of dough with the blessing if you make it.
- 8Divide dough into 6-7 pieces, and shape into challah according to your favorite style. (You can braid three strands, four strands, six strands -- whatever!).
- 9(At this point you can freeze some of the shaped challot to bake later on.).
- 10Let rise another 30 minutes or so.
- 11Brush each loaf with beaten egg. Sprinkle with seeds.
- 12Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Delicious Sweet Challah
Serving Size: 1 (4555 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2235.7
- Calories from Fat 584
- Total Fat 64.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 248.0 mg
- Sodium 2823.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 359.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 69.9 g
- Protein 49.3 g