Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Nice to make especially if you have left-over cranberries from Thanksgiving. Fall is the time for apples and this recipe is delicious.
- 4 apples (Fuji or Gala)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated, preferably
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1⁄3 cup cooked cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- Toast almonds by placing in a frying pan for a few minutes until lightly browned. Take care they do not burn. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl cream brown sugar with butter or margarine, add nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, orange extract, cranberries and cooled almonds. Mix well.
- Cut 1/4 off the tops of each apple. Set the tops aside.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the core of the apples. Take care not to go all the way down to the bottom of the apple. Make a tunnel about 1 inch wide.
- Pack the brown sugar mixture into the apples with your fingers.
- Place the apples in a baking dish. Fit the apples quite snuggly. Place the tops back on the apples. Pour apple cider around apples.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350F degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 - 30 minutes until apples are tender but not falling apart. Baking time will depend on the size of the apples.
- Serve warm and enjoy.