Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes, undrained & chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- hot cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven cook meat onion, green pepper, & garlic till meat is brown & vegetables are tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in UNDRAINED tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, oregano, salt, basil thyme, & bay leaf.
- Bring to boiling & then reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs or till sauce is of desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over spaghetti with parmesan cheese.