Recipe by Kitty Kat Cook
Even though I love shrimp I hated shrimp cocktail until a friend from work brought this for us! Shrimp cocktail kicked up a notch. There's six hours (not incl in prep time) of refrigeration time, so plan ahead!
Top Review by djkitty23
Just as the name indicates, this is a truly delicious shrimp cocktail. I slightly varied the recipe by adding in some diced avocado right to the sauce instead of serving on the side. Also, I only let it chill for about an hour, since I was so determined to try it. I was not disappointed in the slightest, and my fiance immediately gave it the thumb's up! This recipe is a definite keeper. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large raw shrimp, peeled tail on (or more up to 2lbs)
- 20 ounces ketchup, at room temp (of choice)
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium white onions or 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium plum tomato
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or more, Tapa Tio Brand preferred)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 Hass avocadoes, sliced
- 30 saltines or 30 salted crackers
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil, add salt and shrimp (leave tails on). Boil for 3-4 mins or until pink, do not overcook. Strain shrimp out of the water (reserve the water). Shock the shrimp in icy cold water, to stop the cooking process. Remove the tails.
- Run water (the one you boiled the shrimp in) through a strainer to strain the grits.
- Put warm water and entire bottle of ketchup in a glass container, and whisk until well blended. To this sauce add in the onion, tomato, cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce. Stir. Last but not least add the shrimp.
- Seal the container and allow it to sit in the fridge for 6hrs-overnight. The longer the better. Serve with the avocados and crackers and enjoy!