Recipe by CaliforniaJan
My DD made this for me for Mother's Day dinner and it is awesome. She adapted it from Cooking Light magazine and we all give it thumbs up! It is full of interesting flavors and according to the magazine, "shrimp boosts levels of lean, low-saturated-fat protein and omega-3s, while sesame seeds offer the minerals iron, magnesium, and zinc." It is great, give it a try! Note that the original recipe has the shrimp skewered and then pan sauteed in the marinade. To save time, if you like simply saute the shrimp without the skewers, still with the tasty marinade.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce, divided (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and de-veined (about 1 pound)
- 5 cups Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups watercress leaves, trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, 2 tablespoons juice, 1 tablespoon water, and garlic in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at High 40 seconds or until sugar dissolves. Cool. Stir in 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, remaining 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, marmalade, and 1 teaspoon oil in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add shrimp to bowl; toss to coat. Marinate shrimp in refrigerator one-half to two hours, tossing occasionally. Remove shrimp from bowl, reserving marinade. Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 8 (8-inch) wooden skewers.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp skewers and reserved marinade to pan; cook 3 1/2 minutes or until shrimp is done and glazed, turning once.
- Combine cabbage and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle fish sauce mixture over cabbage mixture; toss well to coat. Arrange 2 cups cabbage mixture onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 2 skewers.