Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great for once a month cooking, I love this, it freezes for up to 6 months so I recommend making it in double and triple batches it goes quick in my house. Don't be discouraged by all of the ingredients most of it is spices. I prefer to make my chicken broth and I don't salt the gumbo once I am done, for lower salt omit the sausage, and half of the celery, also use my recipe for vegetable broth if you can't find no sodium chicken broth or use no salt added or the lowest sodium you can find, but if you are not on a low sodium diet then it does enhance the flavor.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced Cajun-style sausage
- 4 cups cut okra (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 lb lobster
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat
- 1 lb fresh peeled shrimp
- 2 cups bay scallops
- In a large pot combine oil and flour. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the roux has browned to a light chocolate color.
- Add onion, pepper, celery and garlic cloves. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add chicken broth, and chicken base, stirring as you go.
- Add water, bay leaves, thyme, basil, parsley, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, and tomatoes.
- Cut sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to pot along with okra. Cover pot and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Salt to taste.
- Add lobster, crabmeat, shrimp and scallops. Simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the crabmeat is done and the shrimp is opaque.
- Serve over hot white or brown rice.