Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great side dish that my mom used to make all the time. Typical Czech cuisine. We serve it with pasta or potatoes and chicken breast. I make this quite often as my DH loves it. Sometimes I add baby pea for more color. It is easy put together and delicious inexpensive meal.
- 1 kg carrot, peeled, cut into small chunks
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 chicken stock cube, I use Massel brand or Knorr
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 30 g butter
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml vinegar
- In large sauce pan put carrots, water, chicken cube, salt and sugar.
- Cover and bring to boil. When starts to boil lower the heat and let it simmer until carrots is soft but still has a shape about 25min.
- When carrots is almost cooked make your roux.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter add flour and cook for 2-3min. don't let it brown. Stir with wooden spoon all the time. Slowly add this flour mixture - roux to cooked simmering carrots. Stir well.
- Let it cook for another 5min. Turn of the heat add vinegar it will bring out more flavor.
- Taste if needs more salt or sugar.
- Serve as a side dish with boiled potatoes or pasta and meat of your choice.
Amazing how such a simple treatment of the carrots could make them taste so good. Thanks for posting a recipe we'll be making again soon!