Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
Give pasta and meat dishes an extra boost by serving this fun and flavorful sauce. It is also a perfect sauce to serve with Twice Fried Plantains. From Family Fun Magazine
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 236.59 ml fresh cilantro, tops with tender stems only coarsely chopped
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 4.92 ml cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup of cold water
- salt and pepper
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the onion, scallions, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Sauté the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place the onion mixture in a blender or food processor with the cilantro and chicken broth and process until pureed.
- Return the puree to the skillet, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Continue to cook, stirring until the liquid returns to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.