Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
These tasty salmon cakes take a fair amount of prep work-lots of chopping...but they are so worth it! They are wonderful as an appetizer or as a main dish served over a bed of greens. If you make these salmon cakes you MUST make them with the super easy Cilantro-Lime Tartar Sauce posted by Gayla Cilantro-Lime Tartar Sauce. I have modified this recipe from an unknown magazine. Enjoy!
- 1 lb uncooked salmon, cut into small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (or yellow or orange, I prefer to saute first before adding to the mixture)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (this is an estimate, you need 2 tablespoons for the mixture, and then enough additional crumbs to co)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, and stems
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- oil, for sauteing
- Mix the salmon, bell peppers, garlic, jalapeño peppers, cilantro, and mayonnaise. Add the Old Bay seasoning, 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix well and refrigerate 20 minute
- Form patties in the size you prefer from the salmon mixture. The smaller they are the less likely they will fall apart when frying.
- Press the patties in the remaining Panko bread crumbs to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least an hour in order to prevent the cakes from falling apart.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over med heat. Cook on both sides until golden brown. If you patties are on the thicker side, or if you are concerned about the fish being undercooked, you can place the patties in a 350-375 degree oven for five to ten minutes.
- Be sure to make the Cilantro-Lime Tartar Sauce Recipe #131931.