Recipe by Dawn
While in the Keys, we sampled some rum cake. Delicious! Luckily, I found a cookbook with some famous Key West Recipes in it and here was the Rum Cake recipe.
Top Review by Meri Dean
The best rum cake I have ever had. Very easy to make. I added rum where the recipe called for water and also added a teaspoon of canola oil. Made it for friends and they all raved!
- 1 box yellow cake mix or 1 box butter pecan cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease a tube pan or bundt pan.
- Mix all ingredients for cake together except nuts.
- Place nuts in bottom of pan and pour batter on top.
- Bake 50-55 minutes.
- To make sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients together in a sauce pan.
- Heat until boiling and allow to boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour over cake when cake is done and allow to stand for 30 minutes before serving.
- Place cake on serving platter.